There is an ongoing outbreak of infectious syphilis in central and northern Australia among priority populations including young Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and women of childbearing age. The current declared outbreak regions include rural and remote areas in Queensland, Northern Territory, Western Australia, and South Australia. Notification rates are also increasing significantly in all states and territories, including metropolitan areas, outside of the declared outbreak regions.
This syphilis training website provides integral professional development for any health practitioners working in declared syphilis outbreak regions including doctors, nurses, midwives, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioners and/or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers.
The training will include the following modules:
- Epidemiology – what regions and populations have been affected?
- Current outbreak
- Outbreak responses
- Clinical stages – what type of illness you can get with syphilis?
- Testing and treatment
- Interpreting syphilis test results
- Notifying public health units (PHUs)
- Contact tracing
The training includes a short assessment for participants to demonstrate their competency and to achieve a certification of completion.
- Identify at risk populations to routinely test for syphilis in relation to the current outbreak in WA, SA, NT and QLD.
- Describe the clinical stages of syphilis and identify clinical symptoms.
- Interpret syphilis serology test results and administer recommended treatment as per scope of practice.
- State the importance of syphilis partner notification and contact tracing.
- Locate relevant national and state guidelines for the testing, management, contact tracing and notification of syphilis.
Contact: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require assistance or have a clinical question you would like to raise with a medical educator.
Accreditation and Endorsement
Currently in the process of accreditation for the 2023-25 triennium.
This Online Learning Program is endorsed by Australian College of Nursing (ACN) according to our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Endorsed Course Standards. It has been allocated 2 CPD hours according to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia – Continuing Professional Development Standard.
This online training program has been endorsed by NAATSIHWP for 2 CPD hours until September 2024.